Become a Catechist
People called to teach others about Jesus and the Church – called catechists – are an integral ministry of the Church. The Diocese of Charlotte offers free or low-cost training options online and in person to support catechists in their training and ongoing professional development.
The independently-run Catholic Education Center offers a web-based program developed for the Diocese of Charlotte. Login instructions are here. For more information, contact us below. Courses include:
- Phase I: 10 hours – Catholic Education: What Every Teacher Needs to Know.
- Phase II: 40 hours – CAT 102: What we Believe: The Creed // CAT 103: Why we Celebrate: The Sacraments // CAT 104: How We Live: The Moral Life // CAT 105: Who We Are: Prayer and Tradition.
Courses are periodically offered by regional coordinators and parish religious education directors at various locations and times around the diocese. Usually there are modest fees attached to these programs. For more information, contact us below.
Marian Catechist Apostolate is a correspondence course developed by Servant of God, Father John Hardon, S.J. There are fees attached to this program, which encompasses:
- Spiritual Formation
- Doctrinal Formation
- Course 1: Basic Catholic Catechism Course (16 Lessons)
- Course 2: Advanced Catholic Catechism Course (36 Lessons)
- Course 3: Spiritual Masters Course
Events, Programming and Development
Education Vicariate In-Service workshops are offered periodically during the year to assist parish staff, campus leaders, teachers and catechists in creating a living sign of a dynamic faith. Workshops are publicized in our Events calendar and in parishes. Contact us below for more information.