I invite you to join me in participating intentionally in the synodal path the Holy Father has called us to, for I am certain it will bear much fruit in the life of our diocese.— Bishop Peter J. Jugis, Bishop of Charlotte
It is my heartfelt desire for the Synod to allow us to grow in unity with one another and with the Lord. To this end, I ask you to keep our diocesan journey in your prayers.— Bishop Peter J. Jugis, Bishop of Charlotte
The Prayer for the Synod / Oración por el Sínodo:
Adsumus, Sancte Spiritus
We stand before You, Holy Spirit,
as we gather together in Your name.
With You alone to guide us,
make Yourself at home in our hearts;
Teach us the way we must go
and how we are to pursue it.
We are weak and sinful;
do not let us promote disorder.
Do not let ignorance lead us down the wrong path
nor partiality influence our actions.
Let us find in You our unity
so that we may journey together to eternal life
and not stray from the way of truth
and what is right.
All this we ask of You,
who are at work in every place and time,
in the communion of the Father and the Son,
forever and ever.
Estamos ante ti, Espíritu Santo,
reunidos en tu nombre.
Tú que eres nuestro verdadero consejero:
ven a nosotros, apóyanos, entra en nuestros corazones.
Enséñanos el camino,
muéstranos cómo alcanzar la meta.
Impide que perdamos el rumbo
como personas débiles y pecadoras.
No permitas que la ignorancia
nos lleve por falsos caminos.
Concédenos el don del discernimiento,
para que no dejemos que nuestras acciones
se guíen por perjuicios y falsas consideraciones.
Condúcenos a la unidad en ti,
para que no nos desviemos del camino de la verdad y la justicia, sino que en nuestro peregrinaje terrenal nos esforzemos por alcanzar la vida eterna.
Esto te lo pedimos a ti,
que obras en todo tiempo y lugar,
en comunión con el Padre y el Hijo por los siglos de los siglos.
Diocesan Synod Timeline
- Nov. 13-14, 2021: Letter by Bishop Peter J. Jugis is read at Masses
- Nov. 15, 2021 – Dec. 31, 2021: Preparation of local gatherings of all the diocesan groups
- Jan. 1, 2022 – April 30, 2022: Local gatherings of all the diocesan groups
- June 11, 2022: Common gathering of all the diocesan groups’ representatives
- June 30, 2022: Diocese of Charlotte synthesis is sent to the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops
Diocesan Synod Contact Person
Dr. Alessandro Rovati is department chair and assistant professor of theology at Belmont Abbey College. He is a graduate of the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore in Milan, Italy, and a published author with leadership roles in national theological associations. His areas of expertise include moral theology and Catholic social teaching. He has already served the Charlotte diocese by teaching classes for St. Joseph College Seminary and by delivering lectures and workshops to youth, laity, clergy, catechists and teachers.
- Downloadable prayer card
- Pope Francis’ homily for the Opening of the Synodal Path (English, Español)
- Synod Preparatory Document
- Communication resources available from the Vatican’s Synod website (including a social media toolkit, posters, flyers, powerpoint templates and more)
- Synod resources from the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (including sample Prayers of the Faithful, homily prompts, and more)
Latest news about the Synod
Contact Form for the SynodFor inquiries about the diocesan phase of the Synod, please contact us via this form. Thank you!
NOTE: A process to collect individual reflections will be launched soon, yet everyone is encouraged to participate in the local gatherings that will be held across the Diocese of Charlotte starting in January 2022. Look for details to come from your pastor or ministry leader.