On 25 September 1938, Abbot Vincent Taylor, OSB of Belmont Abbey dedicated the second home of St. Aloysius parish in Hickory. The first church, which was dedicated in 1915, had become too small for the growing congregation so land was purchased in 1937 to erect a new, larger church. A third church for the parish was dedicated in 1963 and the church presently used was dedicated in 1993. St. Aloysius remained in the territory of the Abbatia Nullius of Belmont Abbey until 1944 when it became a parish of the Diocese of Raleigh. In 1972 it became a parish of the newly formed Diocese of Charlotte.