The Cathedral of St. Patrick was consecrated on 1 September 1939 by Diocese of Raleigh Bishop Eugene McGuinness and then dedicated publicy at a Solemn Pontifical Mass three days later. It was built with money donated by John Henry Phelan who wanted the edifice to be a memorial of his parents. St. Patrick’s was the first church in North Carolina to be consecrated as soon as it was built. It began as a mission of St. Peter Church and was established as a parish in 1942. In 1972, St. Patrick’s was chosen to be the cathedral of the newly erected Diocese of Charlotte.