The Diocese of Raleigh announced its purchase of property near Hendersonville, NC in January 1956 and called it the Catholic Assembly Grounds of North Carolina. The original plan for the property was for it to be used not only for a Summer Camp but also as a place for retreat, family vacations, training institutes, and conferences. Eventually the property became known primarily as the location of the Diocesan Youth Ministry Office and Our Lady of the Hills Camp. The Catholic Assembly Grounds passed on to the Diocese of Charlotte at its formation in 1972. The property was sold in 1985.