On 29 June 1852, the original St. Peter Church in Charlotte was dedicated by Diocese of Charleston Bishop Ignatius Reynolds. It was the first Catholic parish in Charlotte and was served initially by the circuit riding priests of the time. Later in that century it was served by the priest-monks from Belmont Abbey. Due to the growth of the congregation as well as damage inflicted on the building from two munitions’ explosions, a new church building was built on the site of the original St. Peter’s in 1893. This “second” St. Peter’s, built with the financial assistance of St. Katherine Drexel, is still standing and functioning as a parish here in the Diocese of Charlotte.