On February 6, 1955 the the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass was offered for the first time in Hayesville. The Mass was celebrated in an office above the Hayesville Drug Store by Glenmary priest Fr. Joseph Dean. In 1959 a motel/restaurant was purchased for the Catholic Mission in Hayesville. It was converted to house a chapel, convent for the Glenmary Sisters, and offices for their home nursing service. Immaculate Heart of Mary Church which was constructed in 1984 and dedicated in 1985 is today the spiritual home of Hayesville Catholics. It is a mission of St. William in Murphy.