On the evening of September 10, 1941, St. Joseph Church in Bryson City was dedicated by the Bishop of Raleigh, the Most Rev. Eugene McGuinness. St. Joseph’s was, at the time of its dedication, the only Catholic Church in North Carolina west of Waynesville. Interestingly, St. John’s in Waynesville was dedicated earlier on the same day. The first pastor of St. Joseph’s was Fr. Ambrose Rohrbacher who was also pastor of the parish in Waynesville.