St. Joseph Church in Mt. Holly was re-dedicated on November 1st, 1975 by the first bishop of Charlotte, the Most Rev. Michael Begley. St. Joseph’s, originally called Sts. Mary and Joseph, is one of the oldest churches in the state of North Carolina. It fell into disuse in the late 1800’s and suffered from neglect. Due to its historical importance, the church and its grounds were restored and it is now open periodically for Masses as well as tours.