Rev. Michael McInerney, OSB had already designed the first St. Michael Church which was on the corner of Long Ave. and Falls St. in Gastonia. He also was the architect for the second St. Michael Church which was constructed next to St. Michael’s School (which he also designed) on what is now St. Michael’s lane. The second church was dedicated on May 21, 1958 by the Ordinary of the Diocese of Raleigh, Most. Rev. Vincent Waters. The current St. Michael Church was dedicated in 2003.