On April 27, 1969, St. Eugene Church in Asheville was dedicated by Bishop Vincent Waters of the Diocese of Raleigh. The parish of St. Eugene had been established in 1959 with Fr. John Brown as the first pastor and, initially, Liturgies were celebrated in the St. Eugene School Hall. St. Eugene served as Pope from 654-657. He was a steadfast opponent of the Monothelite (“One-will”) heresy which plagued the Catholic Church in the 7th century.