On 1 August 1869, Bp. (later Cardinal) James Gibbons dedicated the first St. James Church in Concord. This original church building, located on Gold Hill Rd., would remain until 1954 when a fire destroyed it. While the location of the parish has moved, one of the oldest Catholic cemeteries in the Diocese of Charlotte remains on the Gold Hill Rd. property.