On April 6th, 1993 St. Lawrence Church in Asheville was elevated to the rank of Minor Basilica by Blessed Pope John Paul II. The first St. Lawrence Church in Asheville was constructed in the late 1860’s. A new church was constructed twenty years later on the current basilica property. Due to a lack of space, the third St. Lawrence Church (now Basilica) was constructed over a period of four years and dedicated in 1909. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.