On May 8, 1921, Abbot Bishop Leo Haid, OSB of Belmont Abbey dedicated the little chapel of Holy Angels in Mt. Airy. A rectory for the mission was constructed in 1929 and Holy Angels was elevated to the status of parish in 1930. Due to its location close to the state line, the parish has counted a number of Virginia residents as parishioners over the years. Holy Angels is the only parish in the Diocese of Charlotte that is blessed to have both forms of the Roman Rite celebrated each Sunday.