|Establishment of St. Mary's in Shelby|
A mission was started in Shelby by the Benedictines of Belmont Abbey in 1884 but by the end of the century it had ceased to exist. The mission was re-established by the same Benedictine community in 1935 and on July 11, 1937 Abbot Vincent Taylor, OSB blessed the newly constructed St. Mary Chapel for the Shelby Catholic community. St. Mary was elevated to the status of parish in 1939 with Fr. Gregory Eichenlaub, OSB as the first pastor. The parish eventually moved to McGowan Road and constructed its current church in 1992.